Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Casket, Robots, Glass Half Empty - Beacon, NY


My vacation began a few days ago, so I've had a lot of time to spend with my dog. Lucille and I know our way around Vassar Farms rather well by spending most of my last four to six mornings there with her. She is very passionate about stampeding through mud. Vassar Farms is one of the many reasons why I enjoy where I live so much. I love that the solitude of a forest is a few blocks away from the average upstate city stir. This is what brings me to Jan. 9th at Zuzu's in Beacon, New York.
What, pray tell, does Vassar Farms and Poughkeespie have to do with a local rock and roll show? To me, in fact, there is a great deal in common. The people and music of Casket Architects, Glass Half Empty and the three other men of Robots And Empire are also another reason why I love where I live so very much. This group of humans, when it comes to the art they make, are as diverse and florid as a Poughkeepsie street corner. Such a street corner may have on it - a thug rapping while other dudes stare at you, a maniac cat-bum-lady-man, a redneck whose heart and sleeve reside on the rear bumper of his pick-up truck, Paul Harris, a group of high school senior girls who try to steal your bike, a dude wearing a neon yellow robe with one mesh arm sleeve and a perfectly shaved mustache, a woman who could've played Biggie Smalls in “Notorious” who wants to kick your ass, and a guy that looks like an older version of Josh Mosh – all chilling on that corner at the same time.
The aforementioned group of musicians and other Glacial related artists in our area are making compelling music for all to inquire about. Their performances on Jan. 9th will be an opportunity for the rest of our music community to witness their current statements. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like there will be a Polish Club show any time soon, hopefully another Poughkeepsie venue will come about in the future. Beacon is a wonderful place to see a show. Feasibly, there will be many potential new listeners to these bands with it being the “Second-Saturday.” There are more plans to have shows at Zuzu's every “Second-Saturday” once a month. I am excited for this. I'm giddy about watching every band stampede through mud.


1 comment: